Sunday, July 12, 2009

I Can See That... Life is Good!

Wow, the world has detail again!

Ryan and I decided to make use of my new vision insurance on Saturday on a whim (I know, living life on the edge. Who says we're not spontaneous?!) since it's been over two years since my last eye exam/glasses, etc. It's still a hard pill for me to swallow; I always had perfect (I mean PERFECT) vision growing up. It was my "thing" in my family. Oh well, that's another story - and one that no one has interest in like me ;)

Anyway, we spent a whopping 3 hours at LensCrafters only to find out they could not finish the glasses in 1 hour; which was my goal and by then I had spent so much time thinking and deciding and so forth that I wanted them that day. However, they didn't have any frames I really cared for anyway, even after spending hours trying them on, looking in mirrors, taking photos - none of them got me all that excited. I have a hard time making decisions anyway. Ryan hates going out to eat somewhere new with me, cause who knows what the heck on the menu is good?! You'd think it was the decision of a lifetime... I can't even manage to pick out a candy bar swiftly. Beyond that though, there was just nothing there I liked too much. I felt defeated and like I had wasted our day.

We decided to step away for a bit to gather our thoughts (ok, just my thoughts) and ventured out to the next nearby LensCrafters that could complete them within an hour. If there was nothing there, we'd just go back and order the ones I was considering, but I really didn't want that so had my fingers crossed. It seemed they had a larger selection and after only a few minutes of trying on frames I found some I really liked! :) See, it's easy to know what you like when you don't have to talk yourself into the lesser of two (or 12) evils. So we left them to be made, did our thing wandering around killing time in the ghost town excuse for a mall that Crestwood now is, 'twas quite eerie to walk through a mall with nearly nothing left. Seriously. Creepy. The food court looked like something you'd see in a movie where we were the only survivors... we investigated the lower level to find this abandoned food court, still lit and full of chairs and bad music, as though it had no idea the world was going to end and was ready for life that day, which never came... still waiting patiently for life to return..

When we went back to pick up my new "must wear them all the time" glasses, the lenses were so glare-free and clear they looked like just frames. I put these suckers on and low and behold, the world has texture and spunk! I can see the threads in my jeans... each individual hair on my head... the color variations/textures in our concrete floors - it's like I ran an unsharp mask filter over the world! I had no idea I was missing so much! Like I said, it is hard for me to accept needing glasses anyway, but damn I had no idea I was missing all the little details in life I've always loved noticing! I thought the world was becoming dull and boring, colorless, bland, boring... my old lady eyes were just dragging me down!

I grew up drawing intensively detailed graphite drawings and have seriously always been extremely intrigued by tiny details that are hard for most people to see, or care to see, with the naked eye. It's probably silly to most people but it's like a little part of me was dead inside by not being able to notice those little things anymore... I feel like I found a part of who I was as a kid, all by some silly ol' glasses.

Isn't it weird; the things that excite us as we grow older? I never dreamed I'd be into the thought of good insurance, time to sit at home with nothing at all to do and being thankful for it, the realization that babies REALLY DO grow up too fast, being able to take a NAP!!!

For the first time in so many years, I am completely happy with where I am in life. There are a few things I worry won't happen or I won't have time for, and that is really my one and only concern... besides that I am truly in a good place. I have a good job that pays well, have awesome health insurance so I don't have to worry so much anymore, working my way out of debt, am on very good terms with my family (would be nice if I could see them more), planning an awesome vacation that I can actually afford to pay for instead of relying on someone else to take me, and have an overall great life that I share with an amazing person who I love far more than myself... Life is good! And now I can see all those little things I was missing before :)

Thank God for being old enough to appreciate that sort of thing, but not so old that I don't have time to enjoy it! Now if I could just get rid of all the rednecks, hypocrites, republicans & bad drivers, my world would be perfect! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment